Around The World Blog Hop

10:52 AM

Hello fellow bloggers! Today I am participating in the Around the World Blog Hop! I get to tell you some things about myself and my creative process.
I was invited by Shelley of The Carpenter’s Daughter who quilts who is a really experienced quilter and a new blogger. The main goal of this Blog Hop is to talk about your creative work and process and then invite more bloggers to follow the path. Almost as an endless Blog Hop that goes around the world. I really do not know who started it first, so if someone does please leave it on a comment. I am really curious how far back that blog hop goes.

As most of you know I am Greek and I live in Thessaloniki where the last years there’s been an outbreak of quilters coming around from every corner. This sewing hobby has never been popular in Greece but it is gaining ground a lot the past few years. Everything you do in my country regarding quilting is new and exciting! There is almost nothing published in the greek language regarding quilting, and everyone who hears what I do, needs an explanation of what is this type of sewing hobby.

What I'm working on?
For the past months I have dedicated myself on making exclusively baby quilts and quilted pillows in order to fill my shop and leave behind pouches and other accessories. In the meantime also working on favor bags and christening/wedding favors and fulfilling orders.

Sailor baby quilt
Quilted pillow covers
Christening Favors for Anna

But my main love and obsession was growing on my mind for the whole past year and finally it is alive. I have started a new quilting YT Channel called The Quilt Codex. Its sole purpose is to make one quilt block per video, and thus create a large quilt block video database. My plan is to make videos of more than 2000 quilt blocks and run an easy to search web site in order to find instructions on how to make every block you would need really easily!

The Quilt Codex


So my time is split between video shooting, image processing, graphics for the videos and quilt making.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I am a very straightforward person so everything you see- this is what you get..absolutely nothing hidden in between. I guess my work is also like that. And you can clearly see that in my videos. Straight instructions, working fast and showing everything I do very easy to make. No bubbling, no dressings…

Peek quilt
Checkers quilt 1

But my quilting is more traditional with a hint of vintage-girlie glow. That is truly absurd! I guess I haven’t found my true style yet… So I can safely say that my work does not differ from others really…

Why do I write/create what I do?
I really don’t know!!! It just came one day in 2009, while having a lot of free time on my hands! Maybe my grandma had something to do with that, because as a child I always did crafty stuff, but that stopped as soon as I got 13 years old.

Now I cannot think myself of not doing something creative even if I am on vacations or out drinking a coffee. And I know this is called an addiction! I guess the whole process makes me still feel like a child, and now that I think about it, everything I enjoy in life is a bit childish or makes me feel younger (type of music, gaming, social media, sci-fi movies, geek & sundry). For heaven’s sake, I am a 36 year-old fan of Lady Gaga! So there’s your answer!

How does my writing/creating process work?
I just go as my instinct tells me. My best ideas where while doing completely irrelevant things. Almost everything I do is spontaneous, and simply if I have an idea on the bus, I write it down and try to make it.

Dresden wip

Mainly, I get inspiration from all of you fellow quilters-bloggers, from Flickr and Pinterest. Firstly I pick a pattern, maybe modify it a bit and choose my fabrics. Almost never the other way round.

WIP Swoon 2013

I like trying different techniques, that is why I enjoy traditional piecing as well as English paper piecing, as well as applique. (I know I need to find my style!)

And most of all I like sharing, in my blog in social media platforms, and away from keyboard.

Hop along
We have to keep this Blog Hop running so I am tagging two fellow quilters: Karyn @ Milly Made it and Laura @Porcupine Stew. Karyn is from New Zealand and Laura from US. Of course I haven’t met them in person (but I would really love to), I only know them through their online activity. Karyn has an amazing taste in combining fabrics and Laurel apart from her quilting, she is also into screenprinting and embroidery which are both my favorites.

Keep this Hop hopping! Stop pinning and start quilting!


Linking on to Freshly Pieced, for a WIP Wednesday, and Crazy Mom Quilts!

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing on the blog hop with us, Zafira. I love your pink Peek quilt.I am not into pink much either. Are you making finished quilt blocks from all your Codex videos for a possible sampler quilt in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley for a chance in this blog hop!! You've been great!
      Well about the blocks, hopefully when I get enough of them in the same size I will make some quilts, that was the plan to start with, but I really haven't given much thought about it. One quilt per block is extremely too much for my time...but now I am just keeping them in a box for the future!

      Delete
  2. Lovely to read about you. By the way: great Profil Picture from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, this is what you're up to! You have accomplished a lot, I'm very impressed! I will definitely go a see that YouTube channel, I have a lot to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daniela! I've got a long way..to go still...Hope you like my tutorials!

      Delete

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Please let us know all the ways you would like to hear from us:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.

HOURS & INFO

Monday to Friday
9am - 2pm
5pm - 9pm

Instagram